Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Gift of Social Work

As social work students, we have been educated about accepting gifts from clients. I have heard so many different things..."It's the meaning behind the gift that matters" or "NEVER ACCEPT ANYTHING!" With such contradicting stories, I never know what to do. Around the holidays, I accepted a card from a patient that had a $50 gift card to Nordstroms. I knew immediately that I had to return this extrodinary present and told my field instructor about it. We both lamented over the fact of the return, but his take on it was that anything over $10 and/or could not be shared with the entire office must be given back. Even though the meaning in this case wasn't to bribe me with any special treatment, it was too generous a gift to take. I returned the gift to the patient upon our next meeting and explained that it was the thought behind the present that mattered the most, and I felt honored to be considered so important in the patient's life. Well, today, it happened again.
Last week, I provided marriage counseling to a couple. This was a completely new experience for me, because my placement has really nothing to do with such things. In any case, this week, the couple returned with a gift in tow. Remembering my past experience, I politely told them that while I was honored that they thought of me, I could not accept the gift....company policy. That didn't stop my patient from insisting that he speak to my field preceptor to bring the matter up with her. I called her over, and she spoke with them. My wonderful field preceptor explained that the company had made a policy against gift giving to protect both the staff and the patients. She was caught off guard when my patient responded, "Have you ever gotten pulled over and received a ticket?" Slightly confused, she answered..."Why, yes, unfortunately I have." He replied, "Well, you broke a law then! You can break this one now! My meaning is to show my appreciation to my social worker! Let her have it!" We laughed, and she took the gift and handed it to me. We opened the box wrapped in a brown bag in her office to find a glass rose. This gift felt different than the other. While it was something that I would never buy myself, and quite honestly, I have no idea what I will do with it, it meant so much to me. They had seen this present and thought of me. This made me realize, if they are thinking about me outside of the clinic, the work that we do while we're together must be making an impact. My preceptor later explained, sometimes it's better to take a gift so that you don't offend your clients and hurt your relationship, but it just goes to show you that there are no real "rules" in social work. Our profession means something different to everyone and it's a learn as you go process. The glass rose that I received today made me realize how much I loved what I was doing and how much of an impact I can have upon others...not to mention, how much growing I have left to do.

No comments: