Friday, February 09, 2007

It is our RESPONSIBILITY to question EVERYTHING

This week I had the opportunity to attend All School Day with my fellow schoolmates, faculty, staff, and community members and representatives. The event was great as it made me feel like I was a part of something greater. Also, during the event I was exposed to ideas and opinions that I completely disagree with in addition to ideas and opinions that I completely agree with. As I sat in the audience and found myself questioning the logic of all of the information being provided by the key note speaker and the panelists, I began to question whether or not I was being overly critical and overly analytical. However, I now realize that as a social worker and one that truly adheres to the values of social justice and social equity I have to be critical, and as social workers we have the responsibility to be critical. I left with the realization that I have the responsibility to QUESTION EVERYTHING in order to ensure that I truly understand the motivation of individual behavior, the implications of values and beliefs, as well as the explicitly and implicitly expressed values and beliefs held by individuals in power if I am to work towards social justice.

No comments: