Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Closing Gaps?

Today was All School Day. A student asked the panel what we as social workers could do to close the gap between what we know we need in practice and what is allowed for in policy? How do we close the "need" gap? (This question was so important because it is THE question that haunts me in my daily struggle with my field work.)

The answer given was "just do it." At first I thought that this answer was great because with all the encouragement from his heart, the speaker was addressing our fears. He recognized that the fears we carried directly influenced our ability to fight.

However, as I pondered some more on his answer, I realized that there is so much more than "just doing it." How does one "just do it?" I think the first part of facing fear is not to jump right in...just like we learn that flooding is not always the most appropriate treatment for phobias.

We teach our clients to do two things:
1)recognize the root of their fears and 2)take it slow.

So rather than "just doing it" maybe we should first look at our fears...

Among the MANY things...
I am afraid that I am insignificant.
I am afraid that I can't make a difference.
I am afraid that it is a losing battle.
I am afraid that I am alone in my understanding.
I am afraid that I will give up or give in...especially after I fail.
I am afraid that the opposing forces are more powerful.
I am afraid that I will be a sell out to a nice salary and pension (and health care...and security).
I am afraid that I will lose myself and my spirit.
I am afraid that I will forget my roots and my convictions.
I am afraid that I am so afraid that I will never start...

And now how do I start? How do I just do it? How do I close the gap?

How does a person eat an elephant? Contrary to popular thought, I don't think it just happens "one bite at a time." First you have to reframe the way you see the elephant. If I focus on just the foot...I won't be afraid to approach the elephant. Only then can I take my first bite.

Reframing: "Helping one person is not insignificant...it is a start...and Yes...I did start."

No comments: