Friday, February 09, 2007

My Leadership Class

USC is one of the few if not only school’s of social work that requires leadership class for all students. Initially, I was very hesitant about my leadership class as I held the notion that I was a born leader and more training was not necessary for me to continue to develop what I thought to be already inherent leadership skills. Don’t get me wrong, I still feel that I have always had a desire to be a leader, but the class has provided me the science behind the art. I say that because leadership is an art, but it truly has a science associated with it. That is to say, that is can very well be systematically examined and explained, and that explanation has allowed me to examine myself as a leader. I now recognize the areas of strength and areas where I need to grow as a leader to be effective in the field of social work. I feel that the course is excellent preparation for me to develop as a leader and to establish myself as a leader when I enter the field of social work as a professional.

No comments: