Wednesday, January 31, 2007

why social work.

I became a social worker because it's the most bad ass job. Nothing is the same, ever...I get to learn how to apply theories in business, psychology, anthropology, and sociology to serving people. I get to turn suffering into strength...empower, inspire, and transform...AND I get to work in downtown LA where although things seem hopeless, I see community, I see progress, and I cannot walk around without knowing that something needs to be done.

Too often the face of homelessness is lost because they're hiding under bridges, in motels, in someone's garage, or stuffed into a small apartment with three other families. In downtown I cannot become segregated from the fact that homelessness is inhumane.

I certainly did not know I would end here...I was ready to get my PhD in cognitive psychology...study memory and trauma for the rest of my life...but I did get a calling, and some advice from a friend who told me that I should be a social worker. I looked into it, not knowing social work was even about clinical work (I'm COPA all the way...live and breath for advocacy and social justice…but now I appreciate and use the clinical) and came to USC.

USC pushed me to self reflect...it made me struggle personally...and on the way I took some amazing electives. I look back now as I'm four months from graduating and I'm grateful.

I am grateful for the opportunity...for the privilege...of being a social worker. Mostly I’m grateful to belong to a group of individuals who value human rights, choice, and know that there IS meaning in life.

No comments: