Friday, February 02, 2007

Discovering USC

I'm back and ready to finish my story. So I was just about to talk about picking programs when i left off. I looked at a variety of programs from all over the United States and then I stumbled upon USC. I had never heard of the school before last year. Not even the football team, if you can believe it. When I examined the website and read about the program I immediately became interested. The idea of going to a private school that was ranked within the top ten social work programs across the U.S, just seemed ideal. Not to mention the fact that I would not have to take the GRE's. (Big plus). The more I searched the website and inquired more information about the school, the more it became attractive. I found myself asking social workers that I worked with if they knew about the program and if so what had they heard. All of them stated that it was a great program and if I had the opportunity to go, then I should take it. Eventually I applied to the school during their early enrollment period. I completed the application, met all the deadlines, and then waited for an answer. I must admit that this whole process went rather smoothly. While waiting for a response, I decided to take a trip to California to check out the school and determine if this was what I really wanted. When I entered the campus I immediately love it. I myself went to an undergraduate program that was considered a commuter school, so i had never really had the campus experience. Viewing the campus in person was priceless and an experience that I could not have received from the Internet. Anyways, while on campus, I met with faculty members, I asked the necessary questions about the program, as well as talking to students about their likes and dislikes. After it was all said and done I had made up my mind that this was where I wanted to continue my education. When I arrived home, I anxiously awaited my letter. I thought to myself, no matter what happened good or bad, this was the school for me. Somehow, someway, I would make it work. Luckily I got in on the first try. I remember getting the acceptance letter and feeling excited about what the future held. I also realized that things were about to change and that I was on my way to California. That would mean that I would have to leave my family and friends along with everything else I had every know. As much as I was excited, I was also scared about moving close to 3,ooo miles away from home. What was I thinking! This was the theme that started the day I received my acceptance letter and continued to rare it head the day I moved to CA. It was the question I asked myself during the first semester and the question I continue to ask myself. What was I thinking???? At the end of the day, after all the studying, all the doubt/insecurities and stress, I realized that this decision was not only the best decision I made but one that will inspire me as a person to become a better social worker.

No comments: