Saturday, February 24, 2007

Do you want to be a LEADER? Yes, No, Maybe So...

To my surprise, only 5 of 20 students raised their hand when the professor asked who wants to be a leader. As I was one of the five who raised a hand, it was difficult for me to comprehend why there were so few social work students who did not. After consulting with few of my classmates, I came to realize that being a leader "sounds" good, but it not necessarily the most desirable position. Leaders tend to work alone for long hours, and have to do everything possible to recruit and maintain followers. If that isn't enough, leaders are often ridiculed for making the slightest mistake, and are thus perceived as perfect. Moreover, leaders hold massive amounts of responsibilities. They are often stressed and under a lot of pressure.

Having acknowledged the cons of being a leader, I still aspire to be one. As a social work student, and soon to be professional social worker, I sense that there is a need for more social work leaders in order to implement the change that our nation needs. I believe that effective leadership qualities rest in the minds and souls of social workers. With the passion to advocate and the ability to empathize, communicate, and problem-solve, social workers are prime candidates for leadership positions and should therefore act on it!

Despite the deficits that come with being a leader, there are many more benefits. Such leaders as Martin L. King, Jr. and Susan B. Anthony have moved mountains in the social justice arena. Subsequent of their profound positions of leadership, I continue to follow them in hope of restoring justice, equality and freedom for all people.

No comments: