Monday, February 19, 2007

Sunday Night Anxiety Disorder

Is it just me, or when I try to go to sleep around 11 p.m. on Sunday nights it's damn near impossible to ease into dreamland? At first it didn't bother me. I figured, I just wasn't tired. I tried all the suggested remedies for my insomnia: counting sheep (you're never too old to try this, and if someone tells you you are, tell them to go kick rocks), reading the most boring book I own (aka The World of Knitting...don't ask), drinking green tea, doing push-ups, etc. Nothing worked. I was still up at 1am with bloodshot eyes, a suffocated conscious, and a weary soul. And then it hit me. I wasn't suffering from late night insomnia, but SNAD (Sunday Night Anxiety Disorder). According to my own logic, this condition may be brought on by unfinished reading assignments, unwritten midterm and final papers, worrying about the well-being of clients, wondering if your bucket of a car will make it to field placement in the morning, worrying about the minions of financial aid harassing you in the most creative ways (oh and they do have some interesting ways of telling you you owe them money), etc., etc., etc., etc.

I think that it is important to remember that aside from being the dedicated "do-gooders" of the world, that we are also people. People with families and friends. People with bills and taxes. Hard-working people who usually aren't making 6 figures but driving the Honda Accord in a parking lot of Mercedes and BMWs. We are imperfect and things will never completely go our way. And as long as we can remain authentic to our work, as well as to ourselves, we can begin to remedy some of the pressing symptoms of our lives.

I need to go cause it's late and it's time for me to count sheep.

No comments: