Sunday, March 18, 2007

Wow...only 7 more weeks of school before Summer!

I remember sitting at my kitchen table when I was a child, thinking I hate school. The work seemed rather boring and I would much rather be out playing with my friends. I never thought I would be living in Los Angeles going to grad school by choice. I am person who has never gotten straight A's and was always jealous of the people who seemed to always get good grades without even trying. But now as I sit here reflecting on the time passed over the last 7 months, it begins to dawn on me how far I have come. The actual work, such as papers, and reading is hard alone, bring in one's field practicum and you have entered a new level of stress and challenge. As I stated in my previous post it seems like just yesterday I was walking on campus for the first time as a newly admitted grad student and now in 7 weeks I will be done with my first year. Time flies when your having fun and working harder than you ever have. I have been asked by many people if grad school is a lot harder than undergrad? My answer is simple...HECK YES!!! I don't mean to scare anyone; this is not my intention. However, the reading, the papers and fieldwork can be overwhelming at times. It is hard, but it is interesting and challenging, but it does help that I truly am passionate about social justice and I love learning about all different kinds of people. I tend to lean towards the micro level of social work I enjoy working with people and doing one on one work, however, this program seems to be giving me a taste of the macro side. I enjoy being an advocate and doing some macro level activities such lobbying, and drafting new initiatives to already formulated policies. It is something I never thought about before I came to USC. So yes, the work is hard, and challenging because it makes you challenge your own ideas, and create new pathways of thinking about the injustices faced by many.
Spring break is over, and there are 7 more weeks to learn before the summer break. I wonder what I will discover next.

No comments: