Sunday, March 25, 2007

5 more weeks...

5 more weeks? Are you kidding me? Where did this semester go? Where did last semester go? Matter of fact, where did the last two years go? It's amazing how one minute you're celebrating being accepted into the graduate program and the very next minute you're nervously anticipating graduation. Before the program, I felt like I really had no direction in life. It was my senior year and I had spent 3 of those years in a broadcast journalism program that just wasn't suited for me. I was nervous, scared even. I didn't want to end up like my good friend who graduated from USC and spent the first year out of college working at Trader Joes. I had worked WAY too hard to settle for a cashier's job at a local marketplace (nothing against cashier's at Trader Joe's, I love organic foods and believe they do a stand up job when it comes to customer service). Besides, I knew I wanted to receive my Masters degree in SOMETHING, but I really had no idea what that something would be. It was frustrating...very, very, very frustrating. However, once I relaxed and talked to my parents, trusted professors and advisers, I was directed to Monica Ellis' office (she is the Social Work adviser) and she sold me on the entire Social Work program in less than an hour. It seemed like a perfect fit. I knew I wanted to work with youth and the program offered that. I knew I wanted to earn a Master's Degree, and again the program opened the door to that. Reminiscing, I realize I have come along way since my senior year in college. I now have direction in my life. I have matured and immensely grown as a person. I have strengthened my work ethic. I have a greater appreciation for the resiliency and spirit of the human heart. And most importantly, I am happy with the endless possibilities of my future within the world of social work....man...five more weeks....where did time go.....

No comments: