Friday, March 23, 2007

Finding my niche in the social work world

Presently I am facing the challenge of finding my niche in the professional social work world. I have a number of interests which include research, contributing to the knowledge base, community based interventions, and the Latino/a community with a specific interest in monolingual Spanish-speakers and new immigrants. I have focused my job search to jobs that will allow me to work within the areas so that I can use the knowledge that I already have and to develop new skills and knowledge as I develop as a professional social workers. I want a job that has a research component to it because it will prepare me to pursue my research interests at the Ph.D level. I feel the pressure at this moment to be strategic in selecting my future place of employment as it will dictate my professional experiences and it will probably be where most of my research questions will emerge from in addition to the questions that I already have. I know my interests lie at the macro-level with a specific focus on communities and I am hopeful that I will find a job position that allows me to do all of those things.

No comments: