Tuesday, March 06, 2007

My long day! And a plug for the Out of Towner Support Group!

Do you know the feeling when you just can' t seem to get in the right mindset to write an important paper?? It's one I'm struggling with right now! I have a research paper due on Friday, and I've only written 2 out of the 7 pages! I need to find my motivation to do it since it's Tuesday already!!! Tonight, I want to write 2 more, and then 2 more on Wednesday, so that on Thursday, I can wrap it up, make a conclusion, and have a good paper! Today has just been a long day! In my policy class, we turned in our midterm paper, which I was really pleased with. (Although now since it's turned in...I should move onto the next part of my work for policy...composing personalized letters to send to California's state senators!) Then after that, I had an Out of Towners Group meeting, which was a lot of fun!

The Out of Towner's group was formed to help make "out of town" social work students feel more at home, connect an awesome group of people, and figre out how to get around Los Angeles! This group was a HUGE help when I first came to USC. Moving here without knowing anyone was scary, but getting to know people who were in the same boat REALLY helped. I was immediately connected with a bunch of people that I could easily relate to, since we all just moved far away from family and friends. In any case, at our meeting today, we were given a map, and we had to identify a bunch of cities!! It was a really fun game, despite the fact I lost. Oops! I've managed somehow thought right? :o) Then after that, we talked about one of our activies coming up (we're taking a tour of LA at night! We're going to locate some hot spots/highways/and hang out!) and then our leaders lead a great discussion about what is going on for us in our lives. We have two wonderful second year students that are leading the group. They are so supportive, accessible, and just all around winners. If you are coming to USC and are unfamiliar with the area and are looking to meet some cool people, I think joining the Out of Towners group is a good idea!

After the meeting, then I had to go to my next class...practice, where we had a guest speaker come in. The speaker was a leader of a battered women's shelter in the area, so it was really interesting hearing about her experience and the work she's done. She was also a great professional friend to make! (think about the job possibilities in the future! connections, connections!) Next, I booked on over to the main campus to have a meeting with the dean about some of the organizations on campus. I just got home, quickly ate some left overs, and am now onto homework! Woo!! What busy day for me! 12 hours long of stuff! :o) Get ready kids, this is quite the ride, but it's a lot of fun.

No comments: