Monday, March 26, 2007

Resumes, And Interviews, And Life, OH MY!

Resumes, and interviews, and Life, oh my! Yeah, things are kind of starting to feel like the Wizard of Oz for me in recent weeks. With the academic school year coming to an abrupt end, it is time for all second year students to start sending out resumes via e-mail, schedule interviews with prospective agencies of interest, and well, in my case, start preparing for my future outside of the protective barriers of the educational system. Yet, with the ensuing tornado on the horizon (i.e. family life, friends, research, papers, projects, etc.), it has been hard not to wonder where I'll crash land in Oz when the debris has cleared. Will I get a job working in a family and children organization that focuses its treatment goals on improving one's overall quality of life? Or maybe a job as a program therapist/coordinator of services? Or how about working as a PSA counselor in a school setting where my primary objective will be to hunt down the truant and restore order to the school's attendance records? Will I have to relocate? Will I make enough money to live on? Will I be able to afford paying off my student loans? Will my family be okay? How about my friends, will they be alright?

I'm only 24-years-old but with so many questions remaining, I feel like I have come to embody the characteristics of all of my childhood Wizard of Oz heroes to make it through these final five weeks of the Master's program here at USC.

Like Dorthy, I feel as though I have been suddenly thrust into this new world of Social Work where there are those who are looking out for my well-being (i.e. Glenda the Good witch of the North and the little munchkins, remember those cute creatures?), and others who are looking to make my path to success a living nightmare (i.e. the nasty, pimpled-nosed Wicked witch of the West). My only motivation residing in the fact that I will someday make a major change in this world by helping those in need. Similarly, at times, like the Scarecrow, I feel alone and mindless, my only salvation coming from a random passerby or family member who offers their words of encouragement to ensure me that all of my sweat and tears have been for not. And then there is the Tin Man. Like the beloved, tap dancing metallic man, I find myself in search of a heart. Not a heart in terms of romance; rather attempting to have a heart for those individuals whom have caused psychological and emotional harm to the students I work with. Those individuals may include but not be limited to: substance abusing parents, uncaring teachers, peers with all the wrong intentions, and the government and its dysfunctional "justice" system for foster care youth. This is a struggle every social worker will undoubtedly experience at some point in their careers and will have to find an unresolved compassion in their hearts to forgive such persons.

And last but certainly not least there is the Cowardly Lion. With his menacing exterior and soft interior, the lion is best known for his admittedly less than heroic ways. In retrospect, I oftentimes find myself searching for the courage to do bigger, more challenging things in my life. For instance, I was having a conversation with my dad the other day and he mentioned how there are no major, prominent leaders today in America. He asked, "Son, where are the Martin Luther Kings and Malcolms? Where are the Huey Netwons, Chavezes, and Roosevelts?" And he was right. Where were our leaders and future leaders at? Leaders that will not only make changes at the micro and mezzo levels, but those leaders whom will find the courage to stand for issues that will make nationwide and global changes. I'm talking about the changes that cause such an uproar that one's life ends as a martyr.

Amongst the resumes, interviews, and life in general, I often find myself feeling lazy and unmotivated to become proactive. But whenever that happens, I quickly remind myself that at the end of the dark, hunted forest of life there is always an Emerald City that awaits; one offering all of its blessings and riches to those who steadily work to reach its gates. It is important to understand that as human beings it is very easy to get caught up in the hub-bub and negativity of everyday life. Aside from being the do-gooders of the world, we are all people--people who will come up against and potential fall in the face of adversity. Yet, no matter what, we must rise up against all circumstances and continue to be the best social workers and people we can be.

So whenever you feel a "resumes, and interviews, and life, oh my!" chant coming on, remember, you have the guidance, intelligence, heart, and courage necessary to make it through any obstacle in life. You have always had these things or you would not have made it this far.

So, I guess I'm off to see the Wizard...the wonderful Wizard of Oz... (just kidding, you know I had to leave you with a catchy Wizard of Oz phrase....fight on!)

No comments: