Thursday, March 22, 2007

anxiety rising

I don't know if it's the knowledge of my formal education ending...the thought of starting a career...or a subconscious desire to enter into a PhD program and knowing that I won't (b/c I think it's unethical to do so straight out of an MSW program, unless your research has no bearing on the direct needs of the community) that is creating this immense anxiety deep in my gut.

Whatever it is, it truly freaks me out.

People say...that this is normal.
Sociologists say I'm a product of an overly competitive and ever depressing world.
My therapist says I need to stop thinking 10 years ahead.
My professors say I need to embrace my experiences and tell me it’s going to be ok…this is my journey.
Everyone says I need to take care of myself...

Take care of myself??? The last two years in this program have been a life of always knowing that I have to take care of myself and not ever really feeling like I have the opportunity and time to. The scary thing is...this notion of self care becomes even more imperative when I leave school and enter the field.

My only hope is that I will be able to....take care of myself...because I'll have the time.........right????



No comments: