Wednesday, March 21, 2007

When there is micro there is always macro!

Yesterday, all first year students had a chance to meet with the advisors of their selected concentrations and discuss what was in store for the upcoming year. There is so much to be done before next year. The concentration I have chosen is Families and Children with a sub concentration in schools. However, after reviewing my sub concentration I find myself really wondering if this is for me. I really want to work with school age children but I am not sure if schools are the right setting. It is hard because it seems to be crunch time and I am still unsure. To ease my mind I have decided to meet with the advisor for school social work. Knowing what concentration I wanted seemed to be simple for me however, picking a sub concentration has been a bit overwhelming. Yesterday was exciting however. As I was sitting there, I really felt that it was going to happen. I was going to be studying exactly what I wanted. The foundation year is set as simply that. It is a foundation to the social work practice. You don't specifically studying one population or one theory or method. You learn how to apply and educate both the micro and macro levels of social work. In my case, I desire to be a clinician and love doing direct practice; so next year will be filled with this. However, after this year I have found a little niche in some macro practices. I am sure that next year too will have it's share of macro lessons, since I have learned that social work is never black and white. When there is micro there is always macro and vice versa.

No comments: