Thursday, March 22, 2007

Lesson for the week: Termination

Today in my practice course we discussed the process of terminating with clients. Termination means many things to many people both personally and professionally. The class seemed to have mixed views on termination. I think many of us have feeling around saying good-bye to someone. Being a good clinician does not mean that you don't care about your clients, and it does not mean that you won't think of them at times, however, making a healthy termination is most beneficial for the client. I found myself struggling with the idea that I would not be seeing some of these clients again. How do good social workers draw the line between personal and professional attachments? It seems rather difficult at times but I suppose if I remind myself of the roles in which we play in this realm then it seems simple that my goal is to do what is in the best interest of the client. So as the next few weeks near, terminating with clients is part of the inevitable process. The connection between clinician and client is strong but remembering that your relationship is strictly professional. Many students discussed their ability to recognize their own counter-transference coming up when termination is being processed and discussed. I too have felt my own issues coming up. Being a social worker does not mean that you are completely separate, we are human, we have feelings but the key is to recognize them and understand them so that you don't cross the ethical line between personal and professional boundaries. Class today was really useful, it affirmed my belief that social workers can care; they can have a professional investment in their clients. It is okay to be human, just recognize your humanness and work through it if need be. Today was a good day for a great lesson.

No comments: