Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Termination...the hardest part for me

Well, as we all prepare for termination with our first year, I realize that the hardest part for me isn't with my clients, but with my field instructor. Now by saying this, I do not mean to imply that my clients are not important to me. I think each one of them will always hold a special place in my heart, but I've always considered all of the people I've met in my life in that way. Everyone has an impact on you...large or small. My clients have helped me grow and learn so many life lessons too...I really feel that I've matured as an individual as well as a social worker. I've never really struggled with goodbyes because I've always been one to look to the future and say, "This was great, I've learned a lot...what's next!" However, leaving my field instructor is going to be tough! For awhile, I couldn't quite put my finger on why I felt sad about saying goodbye to him, but I realized it was because he did such an amazing job this year, I am worried that next year I won't get someone as good!! He's been an amazing guide on this journey and I can't thank him enough for drilling me on Cognitive Behavior Therapy or Countertransference and fun social work stuff like that. He really pushes me to take some risks and try new techniques. I know that next year will be an adventure...I just hope my field instructor is as wonderful as mine this year!!

No comments: