Saturday, April 28, 2007

An Indescribable Phenomenon

So, this whole graduate program in Social Work is like an indescribable phenomenon. Well almost, but I will attempt to succinctly put into words what this entire experience has done for me. As I finished my last day of classes in social work and I processed with my professors and classmates about our experiences in the USC School of Social Work I had so many thoughts and emotions associated with the topic that it was almost overwhelming. I entered this program knowing nothing about social work except for my experiences as a recipient of social work services. I walked into this school with a group of people who I didn’t know and frankly I wasn’t too interested in knowing. However, much to my surprise I have gotten to know so many of my classmates on a personal level and I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to have met and established friendships with so many wonderful people. Never in my life have I felt like I belong more than I have in the past two years. Please do not get me wrong, I acknowledge the differences between myself and many of my classmates and professors. However, being in a school where all individuals there have the same underlying beliefs and values is a unique phenomenon that does not occur very often. Our faculty and staff is also highly represented by social workers so I have been immersed in the world of social work. I started the program a graduate student, but I quickly began to identify as a social worker. After examining my personal and professional development throughout the last two years I recognize that there is method to the school’s madness. Yes we are placed in immersion, but why? Well we need to understand communities, but I mean truly understand community. Yes, we are placed in seminar with classmates for a whole year, but why? Because we gain a cohesive bond that provides support and familiarity. Yes, we chose concentrations, but why? Because even though we all are dedicated to social work our passions differ and we should all be allowed to pursue what we love. I love sitting in class with other students who are passionate about macro-level social work and I love having had the opportunity to sit in class with professors who have done great things as macro-practitioners. I love being able to go to my faculty or staff and know that there is a social worker sitting across from me who can empathize. I love that I have been able to be a part of a caucus where I feel a sense of belonging, and I love the fact that if that caucus wasn’t there the school would support me in starting a caucus. I love that I can do research and assist professors in contributing to the social work knowledge base. I love that I can tutor and share what I have learned with my fellow classmates and future colleagues. Now I walk away with a feeling of satisfaction knowing that I took advantage of every lesson and opportunity that was made available to me. Overall, this experience has been amazing and I am saddened by the fact that I have to leave, but I am so happy that I have had the opportunity to have such a beautiful experience.

No comments: