Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Termination

Today was a harder day than I had imagined. I terminated with a client that I have grown to care deeply about over the past few months. I have seen her grow in ways that only affirm to me her strength and power. She has come along way and I know that she is ready to fly on her own. We discussed her strengths and her accomplishments and it was then that I saw the real work in progress. When I first started working with her I was doing most of the talking. I was giving her positive affirmations, yet now at the end of therapy she is the one giving herself positive affirmations. I feel a bit sad, yet I am really happy too. I know that the therapeutic process is difficult and for the first time I had the privilege to see a client ready to fly the coupe. I know that she will be one that I remember over the years and fondly think about. It does not make it easier to say goodbye to her but it does make it better to know that she is ready to terminate and use the wings that she developed during our work together.

No comments: