Saturday, April 07, 2007

Missing My School Family

The other day I was sitting in front of Leavey library waiting for my group to arrive for our meeting and I began to think about all the things I will miss when I graduate my MSW program. I realized that the thing I will miss the most will be my school family. My fellow board members in the Latino/a Social Work Caucus are my family away from home and I could not believe how hard it was for me to think about us separating. When I first took a board position I did not have a close relationship with any of my fellow board members and we only knew each other from our classes. However, we have grown to be so close and as a team we have led a wonderful and successful Caucus throughout the year. I acknowledge that being part of a student organization is a whole lot of work and it is comparable to having another job, but the rewards that the work brings with it is difficult for me to quantify. The feeling of being part of something so wonderful is fulfilling and motivating at the same time. I was also able to find support and motivation from my fellow board members that carried me through a number of challenges that I faced throughout my graduate school experience. My advice to any incoming social work student is to get involved and I promise your graduate school experience will be enhanced.

No comments: