Monday, April 02, 2007

Its Official I Have a Job!

I have officially taken a job offer for a position that I never thought I would get. I didn't think I would get the position because I am fresh out of graduate school, and because I was the youngest applicant in the applicant pool. I thought my age would work against me because I would be overseeing a staff where everyone is older than me. I know I will face challenges because I am only 23 and sometimes age is incorrectly associated with ability, but I have mentally prepared myself to deal with those challenges. I will be coordinating my own health outreach program and I am super excited. I am very happy to announce that the position fits my professional interests very well. I will be able to be responsible for my own budget, grant writing, needs assessment, as well as management which will allow me to use the skills gained from both my Social Work and Public Administration degrees, I will also be responsible for overseeing a staff of four. The program grant was just recently given to the agency so I will be starting the program from the ground up and I feel very fortunate to be able to do so. I will be able to use my macro skills and will be able to develop my community-based intervention skills which is another area that I am very interested in. Also, I will be working with the Spanish-speaking community which is a population that I am very interested in. My job will be at the agency where I was placed first year, and I feel like I have come full circle. My first year internship experience was awesome and it was great exposure to the clinical setting. Now I have the opportunity to return to work in the same place where I first identified myself as a social worker.

No comments: