Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Phew! What a day!!!

Tuesdays are non-stop for me! I woke up at 6:30 to walk over to UPC to catch a tram to the downtown center. My first class, policy, was as usual, a rush. I have a professor who is living history of all things that have happened in the US! He truly has an amazing story and is such a wonderful advocate! Luckily for me, I did my homework, and got called upon to tell the class all about a policy we are trying to pass. I read the actual bill last night, and boy was it long! This bill, if it passes, will create more low and extremely low income housing and emergency shelters in LA. The Bill, SB2, will also make such facilities/housing available in all areas instead of leaving the homeless population to be concenrtated in one area. Los Angeles has the nation's highest rate of homelessness, and my class is making an effort to fix it! It's a very exciting time, but quite overwhelming. Additionally, I'm supposed to contact some state senators and state assembly members to convince them to advocate for the bill and vote for it! It seems like this project alone is a full time job, but I'm trying to prioritize and compartmentalize everything so I can have small victories and not freak out about how much stuff there is to get done! :o) Anyways, so after my unexpected presentation to the class about the bill, my professor dove into explaining what our midterm was! I can't believe I'm already thinking about midterms!! Crazy!!! After policy, I hopped on a shuttle back to the UPC campus and attended the Out of Towner's Support Group. This group has made such an impact on my experience here at USC, since I moved here just for school. All of us have become very close, and it's nice to check in and see how everyone's doing! (Our leaders, 2nd year students, also are setting a wonderful example for us, teaching us how to lead a group!) Then, I raced back to the down town campus to have a meeting with one of the Deans and the advisor of the downtown social work caucus. We're setting up a brownbag, and figuring out some last minute details! Then it was off to class, finsihing my day up with Behavior, which was enjoyable as always. The classroom dynamic is wonderful and I love hearing what everyone has to say during our discussions. Then! Finally, I got to go home! I'm exhausted, and took a break to watch a bit of a movie, but now it's back to homework. And sometime I have to figure out when I am going grocery shopping. I had cereal for dinner. Haha, the dinner of champions...or social work students. So much to get done and so little down time! I'll keep breaking it down into little pieces and celebrate by crossing it off my list!

No comments: