Friday, January 12, 2007

A Change Agent at Heart!

Prior to starting the MSW program, I had dreams of being a teacher. In fact, I had initiated the application process for the school of education before learning about the career opportunities made available in the field of social work during an information meeting offered by the USC School of Social Work. I had assumed that social workers solely worked in the area of family welfare. Yes, I too was under the impression that social workers only worked to remove children from homes and serve children in foster care. I had no inkling that social workers are change agents in the area of social policy, law, education, corporations, health care systems, and much more!

After being educated on the many options, I began to consider ways to integrate my love for education with my passion for social work. Subsequently, I have acknowledged that the field of social work serves as a prominent venue for me to assist individuals in the classroom while producing change in the education system at large. Not to mention, I am able to help families access resources, provide teacher and administrative support, as well as design and implement programming that meet the many needs of students and their families.

For instance, I am now working to design a program for students to participate in while they are off-track (in schools with a non-traditional school schedule). I also have practiced psychotherapy with individual students who have been diagnosed with varying disorders (depressive disorder, PTSD, substance abuse, and ADHD). Moreover, my learning experience has been enhanced by co-facilitating a parent group (Back In Control). Interning as a school social worker, I do classroom visits, provide psychoeducation for teachers and administrators, and LEARN much about the school system. I say I have the best of all worlds!

At times change seems slow, however, I always remind myself that some change is better than none.

-A Change Agent at Heart

No comments: