Monday, January 15, 2007

Back to school

It's only been a week since we've been back and I'm already stressed. How does this happen? I am just immensely grateful that I love all but one of my classes...and the one I don't like I'm not even sure I really don't like quite yet...(fingers crossed!)

So...I kept asking my field instructor for a project...and he gave me a project: to create and build a website for our facility. When they say you should be careful what you ask for, they really meant it. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing and I'm not quite sure "Building a website for Dummies" is necessarily going to help me. Plus I have to do this before I graduate. Although he's offered me a job...I'm not so sure after I completely fail this task...no he won't do that, there's too much to do in Skid Row.

A website would be nice...it would really change the way different organizations in the Downtown area work with our agency and increase communication, which is so needed, it's scary that it hasn't been done considering how long we've all been there.

I do have to say that I'm frightened about the Downtown situation. The political and economic situation is going south for the homeless mentally ill. The worse part is they are so concerned about finding shelter they don't even know that in a few years they'll all be screwed...or they'll have shelter because they'll be in jail.

Doing social work will never be boring...that is something you can count on in a profession where you can't count on much.

No comments: