Sunday, January 28, 2007

Social Work: A One of Kind Profession

Have you ever eaten ice cream from Cold Stone? I bet you have. What's it like? You are right...LIKE NO OTHER ICE CREAM! Well, I feel the same way about social work. In my opinion, social work is a profession that is unique and simply worth having. Pursuing a career in social work is worthy for more reasons than a few. Let me share my top three reasons why I chose social work:

Like Cold Stone's Ice Cream:

Reason #1: Just as you have the freedom to pick and choose your flavor of ice cream at Cold Stone, you can choose to work in a venue of any kind (schools, government, hospitals, county agencies, private sector, fortune 500 companies, and even in cinema-television).

Reason #2: Once you choose your flavor of ice cream, then you have the pleasure of selecting from a variety of toppings. As for social work, you can choose to sprinkle a little direct practice (e.g. psychotherapy); put a dab of macro-level work (e.g. program development); or just choose to be the change agent you are!

Reason #3: Here comes the BEST part of it all...Like Cold Stone Ice Cream, social workers are skilled to work in the MIX of all types of environments (considering the principles of person-in-environment), with people form various cultures and backgrounds using a strengths-based perspective, and are REWARDED with the sweet sensation of helping others help themselves.

I will have to say that social work is a CALLING…A VOCATION! My passion for social work comes from deep within. Given my personal and professional experiences, I did not have the audacity to sit and be content with the way our nation is…to accept things as they are. Instead, I followed my calling, my purpose in life, my DREAM which is to aid the challenged, breed hope from despondency, and advance the well-being of all people!

1 comment:

Alicia Wojcik said...

I love cold stone and I love social work!!