Tuesday, January 30, 2007

MY WAY TO USC!

Hi Everyone!
I am a first time blogger and I would just like to take time out of this busy Tuesday to introduce myself and tell you all why I chose USC's MSW program. My name is Phenice which means a palm tree and fitting considering I ended up in a state surrounded by them. As you can probably tell I am an out of towner who recently moved to CA from Boston, MA. Up until a year ago, I had no desire to leave my comfort zone or become a social worker. My plan was to become a child psychologist. For a long time I was working with adolescence transitioning out of the Department of Social Services. I worked with a lot of adolescence who aged out of the system. After three years, working with this population, I realized that many of my client ended up homeless or having to go back to the families that abused them. All I remember feeling is complete frustration with the system and how it dealt with children. The system tries it best under the circumstances but in the end, the department is not a very good parent. I wondered how I could change things? For a long time I battled with this question. After a few months I realized that it was time to go back to school. I was helping my clients by being with them and planting the seed but there was this desire to do more. I soon realized that I could not create change without the proper education and knowledge that would stimulate growth. This is how I decided to go back to school. I started looking at psychology programs and maintain a general interest. As I attained information surrounding the field I realized that I would be in a narrow profession. I wanted the opportunity to do different things in my profession and give myself some freedom. When I told my supervisor at the time, she simple stated that I should go to an MSW program. After some convincing, I looked into the different programs within MA and then on the east coast and finally on the west coast. ( So I realize that I have rambled on long enough) It's time for me to stop and do some homework but I will post again with the end of the story. Until then take care.

No comments: