Friday, November 10, 2006

"You think you know...But you have no idea:" Diary of a USC Social Work Student

Becoming a social work student at the USC School of Social Work is one of the most valuable experiences I've had in life thus far. Not only have I learned much about the world of social work, I have also acquired more knowledge about myself and the world in which we live!

Growing up in a society where inequality and injustices roamed about my presence, I have witnessed first hand what a poor education system looks like; the characteristics of community violence and it's aftermath; and issues having to do with family, abuse, welfare, teenage pregnancy, and so forth. In fact, I was one of few who weathered the storm and prevailed. As a teenage mom, I quickly learned to seek out my resources, both internal and external, as a means of survival. As a result, I was able to overcome the many challenges, believe in myself, and develop a more clear understanding of my life goals. Thus, I went on to graduate from USC with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and sociology, with honors.

After gaining support from peer group, colleagues, family, and from MYSELF, I realized that I needed to further my education to accomplish my goals. My personal life and professional experience in the field of education, social work, and higher education lead me to learn of my passion for social work. Here I am...pursing my life dream. And you've noticed one thing in common through out this brief history of my recent years of life- I AM WHERE I AM TODAY BECAUSE SOMEONE SUPPORTED ME WITH THE INTENTION FOR ME TO HELP MYSELF. In turn, I must reach out to many more that wait for a helping hand so that they can believe and acknowledge their ability to assist themselves.

Being a part-time social work student here at USC has provided me with the tools necessary for implementing quality, clinical social work practice. I am currently in my third and final year pursuing excellence in the area of school social work. I have therefore chosen to be in the mental health concentration while obtaining a Pupil Personnel Services Credential (PPSC), which is required to do social work in schools.

To learn more about my passion for social work and what it is like to be a social work student here at USC, I invite you to post a question, comment, or concern!

-Social Work Diary

No comments: