Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Crazy day at Internship

I love my work...and I love Downtown, but man today was seriously a hard day. It's never fun when you have to give out a four page survey with small font and difficult language to individuals who have been waiting, are hungry, and just all around unhappy. We study about program evaluation, and I'm all for it...but actually doing it is another thing.

Problems arise when you have to evaluate programs that have high demand for services and very low resources. At that point leaders are required to make decisions about priorities. Is it more important to utilize and place immense pressure on staff to complete evaluation, or are the immediate needs of the client more important? What are the consequences of choosing one over the other? We risk abandoning and alienating our clients for 15 days or we risk losing funding and not being here at all. Where's the middle ground? Does this compromising leave both demands unmet?...Too many questions.

This is why leaders are scarce and corrupt (in general...and not that the leadership at my agency is corrupt.) The prospect of taking responsibility for difficult decisions is FEARFUL. We inevitably disappoint and sometimes hurt someone (whether it be staff or clients). But in the end...I guess you ask: Was it all worth it? and can I see myself at any other position? Hopefully the answers are: Yes and No, respectively. Considering the events of today...especially in hindsight. I have to say....Yes and No. I still love where I am...and I still love what I do.


No comments: