Friday, November 10, 2006

About grades... I WANT ALL "As"

Why are people still trying to convince me that grades aren’t all that important in graduate school unless you plan to get a Ph.D.? Regardless of my plan to get a Ph.D. ONE DAY, I still think it is essential to get the best grades possible in all of my classes. The reason(s) why I believe grades are important is because they represent (1) HOW WELL YOU HAVE MASTERED THE MATERIAL, and demonstrate (2) YOUR EFFORT, as well as (3) BOOST YOUR CONFINDENCE AND RAISE YOUR SENSE OF SELF-EFFICACY.

One may argue that giving letter grades are rather objective. However, there are no other methods of evaluating our work. I do not believe that there is a correlation between grades and the number of job offers you get post graduate school, nor do I agree that grades tell the "whole story." We as students stand for so much more than a GPA, but does it not feel good to graduate with honors and have a star next to your name in the graduation program, or wear that special gold cord around you neck. The message is...WORK TO YOUR GREATEST POTENTIONAL...and do not settle for anything less.

Being a graduate student is really about mastering the course material and a getting the best grades is one way to show proof that you have done so. In order to get all As, you must ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS, ADVOCATE for yourself, and READ!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, that means that there ain't much partying going on either. Just a tip or two about how to get As in graduate school. How do you feel about grades?

-Social Work Diary "Nerd" ;-)

No comments: