Saturday, December 02, 2006

Biggest lesson

Some people have argued that working as a social worker is more difficult than attending graduate school in social work. Obviously I haven't experienced what it's like to JUST work as a full time social worker, but I have to say I think part of that reasoning exists because we just forget what it was like to be in school. Even if school wasn't intellectually challenging (which it can be if you engage in it), the workload itself is enough to make you a little delirious. I think the lesson I learned most from this program is how to survive in a social worker's environment, particularly carrying a large workload with little resources in varying styles of management. I definitely learned how to engage in self care, self reflection, time management and the art of talking myself through perseverance the possibility of imminent failure. Sometimes we have to set priorities and just accept that we can't do everything.

No comments: