Monday, December 11, 2006

I am OFFICIALLY done!

Great News....Finals are over. Believe it or not the fact that finals are over is a bitter sweet experience. I feel fortunate that I was able to complete everything this semester, and by everything I include my other one thousand and one responsibilities I have beside school and internship. However, exactly five months from today I will be graduating, and I am sad that I am one step closer to leaving my graduate studies, but I am excited about what lies ahead. I am already starting to process my feelings of loss over this whole leaving graduate school issue, but I am also preparing myself for the real world, and really trying to put my finger on what route I will be taking.

I really have had an awesome semester marked by little sleep, lots of personal and academic growth, the development of friendships with my classmates and future colleagues, and of course the development of my identity as a social worker. So, I feel like a bit of advice would be useful here, and that is to get involved in as much as you can handle. I have by far had the busiest semester of my life because my plate is full, but with some time management and organization I was able to be an active participant in an array of activities. Ultimately, my days as a social work student were not merely marked by attending class and going to internship (note: there's nothing wrong with that), but I was able to be involved in so many activities that I am passionate about. I know it can be a bit intimidating to have so many responsibilities, but its such a rich experience that shouldn't be passed up. Some people call me crazy for taking on so much...Including my family, but I realize that my time in graduate school is limited, and I have to maximize the opportunities while I am there. So my advice to all those that are considering graduate school is to MAXIMIZE ALL YOUR OPPORTUNITIES.

No comments: